The Best Temperature and Humidity Range for Dracaena Marginata Plants Indoors
The beautiful Dracaena Marginata plant (aka The Dragon Tree), with its bright green sword-like leaves, is a popular plant for homes and offices. Dracaenas are not demanding and are considered low-maintenance plants for the most part. However, providing appropriate environmental conditions is vital for success. This guide will take you through everything you need to know about Dracaena Marginata’s temperature and humidity tolerances when grown indoors.
- Dracaena Marginata Temperature and Humidity Tolerances – The Essentials
- Typical Temperature and Humidity Ranges Dracaena Marginata Plants Receive in Their Native Habitats.
- Signs Your Dracaena Marginata is Exposed to the Wrong Temperature and Humidity
- How to Monitor Ambient Temperature and Humidity in Your Home
- How to Boost Humidity in Your Home?
- Caring for Dracaena Marginata Plants in Spring and Summer
- Caring for Dracaena Marginata Plants Over Winter
- Dracaena Marginata Temperature and Humidity Tolerances FAQs:
- Wrapping Up
Dracaena Marginata Temperature and Humidity Tolerances – The Essentials
Dracaena Marginata plants prefer temperatures ranging between 65°and 78°F (18°to 25°C). They favor moist and relatively high humidity ranges of 60% to 80%. Dracaenas do not do well in constantly changing temperatures but will tolerate drier conditions than their preferred humidity range.
Typical Temperature and Humidity Ranges Dracaena Marginata Plants Receive in Their Native Habitats.
Dracaena Marginata is native to Mauritius and Madagascar along the Indian Ocean. The islands enjoy a tropical climate where the temperatures typically remain consistent between 75° F (25°C), and the highest is 95°F (35°C) throughout much of the year.
The moisture and relative humidity in the area is high and seldom drop below 80%.
It can be challenging to replicate these temperatures and humidity ranges in any living environment, regardless of region. However, indoor temperatures in homes are often constant throughout the year ranging between 65°to 78°F (18°to 25°F), which is just fine for Dracaena Marginata plants to be comfortable and thrive.
Dracaena Marginata plants do not like constant changes in room temperature. Additionally, if the home has drafty areas, place the plant in a warm section where it will not be affected by the cool airflow.
The humidity in homes is drier than the natural habitat of Dracaena plants, but they tolerate slightly drier conditions.
Signs Your Dracaena Marginata is Exposed to the Wrong Temperature and Humidity
Your Dracaena plant will often display the following signs if the ambient temperature and humidity aren’t quite right:
If the leaves of your Dracaena Marginata plant are turning brown, the temperature in the room could be the problem. In extreme or fluctuating temperatures, Dracaena plants become stressed and stop carrying nutrients to their leaves.
A Dracaena plant can be exposed to drafts when placed too close to open windows or air conditioning units. The plant will show signs of brown leaf tips and curling brown leaf margins as a result.
Air conditioners and central heating in homes make it difficult to keep the humidity constant. Dracaena plants like high humidity levels, and when the levels are low, the leaves dehydrate. Dehydration will result in the tips of the leaves dying and turning brown. Wilting, drooping, or leaf drop are other common signs that the plant is under a degree of stress.
The Best Temperature and Humidity Ranges Indoors
Dracaena plants are happiest with the following temperature and humidity ranges:
- The best indoor temperature ranges for Dracaena plants are 65°-78°F (18°-25°C).
- Dracaena Marginata plants can tolerate a humidity of 60 – 80%.
How to Monitor Ambient Temperature and Humidity in Your Home
The best way to monitor ambient temperature is by using a digital thermometer or sensor. Use the device in the middle height of the room in a well-ventilated space, allowing the air to circulate freely. Measure the temperature values over the length of a day to pinpoint the maximum and minimum ambient temperatures to gain an accurate average.
Measure the humidity in the home with a hygrometer. Place the device in a living room, away from the moisture produced in the kitchen or bathroom. Humidity levels should be between 30% and 50% for maximum comfort.
Best Positions to Place Your Dracaena Marginata Indoors
Your Dracaena Marginata plants thrive in bright, indirect light conditions. The best position to place your Dracaena plant indoors is:
- In a sunny, south, or west-facing window in the Northern hemisphere
- Near a window facing north or west if you live in the Southern hemisphere
- Not in direct sunlight. Filter the sunlight by hanging a translucent blind or sheer curtain in front of the window.
How to Boost Humidity in Your Home?
Dracaena plants thrive in moist air, so if the humidity in your home is too dry, there are some of the best methods to alleviate this.
Place the Dracaena plant in its container on a humidity tray or pebble tray filled with water. The water should not touch the bottom of the pot. As the water evaporates, it will increase the humidity level surrounding the plant.
The ultimate option would be to use an electric humidifier that you can set to create the perfect humidity level for your Dracaena.
Should I Mist my Dracaena Marginata?
Mist the Dracaena by spraying the leaves and the air surrounding it. As a result, the water will vaporize immediately and increase the humidity. Just be cautious not to over-saturate the leaves, which leads to unwanted pests and diseases.
Do Plants Benefit From Being Grouped Together?
Place your Dracaena with other plants in the house to form a group. Plants lose water from their leaves through tiny stomata pores during a process called transpiration.
The water vapor enters the air around the plant, increasing the humidity. In the same way, a group of plants will significantly improve the room’s humidity.
Caring for Dracaena Marginata Plants in Spring and Summer
In the spring, when the weather is warmer after the cold winter season, likewise in summer, taking care of your Dracaena plant will change significantly:
- During spring, the temperature is still a bit cool, especially at nighttime, so if your Dracaena is placed near an open window during the day, you may want to close the window at night.
- In the summer, Dracaena plants can be placed near an open window, as long as it is not in a cold draft.
- Water Dracaena Marginata once a week in spring and summer, depending on the soil’s moisture levels.
- If the humidity is dry, mist the plant at least once a day with rain or distilled water and use a humidity or pebble tray to increase humidity.
- Now’s also the best season to consider repotting your Dracaena Marginata plant if needed.
Caring for Dracaena Marginata Plants Over Winter
The Dracaena plant will enter its dormancy period during winter, and there will be limited growth as the plant is in its rest mode. As a result, the plant’s care should be adjusted:
- Water the plant only once or twice a month during winter. However, watering does depend on where the plant is placed during the cold season. If the plant is receiving full sun, it may need water more often.
- Do not fertilize the plant during winter. The plant is resting and does not require any nutrients for growth.
- Keep the plant away from any heating appliances as this will dry the air around the plant.
- Dracaenas do not like cold temperatures, so find a warm spot for the plant during the cold weather, for example, in front of a closed sunny window.
Dracaena Marginata Temperature and Humidity Tolerances FAQs:
What temperature is too cold for Dracaena Marginata plants?
Dracaena Marginata plants are intolerant to cold, and the temperature should not drop below 55°F (13°C).
What temperature is too hot for Dracaena Marginata plants?
Dracaenas tolerate maximum temperatures of 95°F (35°C) in their natural habitat. Temperatures above this level would be too hot for this plant.
Are Dracaena Marginata heat sensitive?
Dracaena Marginate plants are not sensitive to heat. They prefer warm temperatures but are sensitive to the cold.
Can I leave my Dracaena Marginata plant outside?
In winter, Dracaena plants should only be outside in warm climates where temperatures do not drop below 63°F (16°C).
How do I know if my Dracaena Marginata is healthy?
You can tell if your Dracaena plant is healthy when it displays dark green, healthy-looking leaves and continues to produce new foliage.
Dracaena Marginata plants prefer even temperatures ranging between 65° and 78°F (18°to 25°C). Although these temperatures are lower than their natural habitat, they adapt but do not fare well in fluctuating or cold temperatures.
Dracaenas favor high humidity conditions; however, they tolerate the drier humidity levels in homes and offices.
Caring for your Dracaena Marginata is easy once you have its preferred temperature and humidity requirements in place. As a result, you will be rewarded with an attractive and healthy indoor plant!
If you’re looking for your next Dracaena Marginata plant, see our in-depth guide to the best plant shops delivering Dracaena Marginata plants nationwide.