Roses are a beautiful and elegant addition to any garden. However, if you’re a dog owner, this adds an extra consideration to your garden planning. Before adding roses to your garden, it’s a good idea to check whether these flowers are safe for your dog. In this article, I’ll run through everything you need to know about whether roses are toxic to dogs.
Are Roses Toxic to Dogs?
Roses are listed as non-toxic to dogs by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). In most circumstances, roses shouldn’t cause serious or fatal issues for dogs (or cats). However, your dog can still suffer from stomach discomfort and other issues from contact with roses.
What Effects Do Roses Have On Dogs?
Although roses are non-toxic to dogs, these flowers can still have adverse effects on your furry friend. If your dog consumes rose leaves or flowers, it may suffer from minor stomach problems such as vomiting or diarrhea. These symptoms should only last for a few hours, but contact a veterinarian if the symptoms last longer.
Rose thorns can injure your dog if it eagerly investigates a rose bush. The sharp thorns may cut or prick your dog, causing minor injuries. However, the most significant danger is that your dog may ingest some of the thorns. In some cases, this may result in internal injuries.
What to Do if Your Dog Consumes Your Roses
If your dog has eaten part of a rose bush, watch them closely for a few hours. Your dog may experience some minor stomach discomfort, such as diarrhea or vomiting, but this usually isn’t serious. Rose flowers and leaves shouldn’t cause serious problems.
However, if your dog is still experiencing stomach discomfort several hours later, contact a veterinarian. If your dog has eaten rose thorns or stems, it may suffer from more serious problems. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog starts drooling, panting excessively, or has seizures or tremors.
Rose thorns may also injure your dog if they’re cut or pricked by the thorns. Check your dog over for signs of injury and apply some antibiotic ointment to any cuts. This stops the wounds from getting infected.
How to Keep Dogs Away From Your Roses
Installing a physical barrier between your roses and dog is the easiest way to separate them. This could be a cage or chicken wire frame around your roses. You can also train your dog not to investigate your roses or to enter the part of your garden containing your roses.
Roses (Rosa spp.) are deciduous perennials from the Rosaceae family. These iconic plants usually grow as woody shrubs or climbing vines. Most roses are native to Asia and parts of Europe, Africa, and North America. There are also thousands of cultivars available.
Roses are usually categorized as either old garden roses, species roses, and modern or hybrid roses. These three main groups are further subdivided into several smaller groups, including thornless climbing roses, Floribunda roses, and patio roses.
These gorgeous perennials have pinnate leaves with serrated edges and woody stems protected by sharp thorns. Rose flowers have five petals and come in single, double, or semi-double forms. Rose blooms in summer may also produce strong, musky fragrances and come in several dazzling colors.
Are Roses Toxic to Dogs FAQs
What Happens If My Dog Eats a Rose?
If your dog eats rose leaves or flowers, it may experience some minor diarrhea or vomiting for a few hours. However, if your dog eats rose thorns, it may experience more severe issues.
Can Dogs Eat Rose Bush Leaves?
Rose bush leaves aren’t toxic to dogs. However, after eating rose bush leaves, your dog may still have some minor stomach discomfort, such as diarrhea or vomiting.
How Do I Get My Dog to Stop Eating Roses?
Try and train your dog to stop eating your roses or to avoid them entirely. Use companion plants such as marigolds to deter your dog if that doesn’t work.
Roses are non-toxic to dogs but can still cause minor gastronomic issues such as diarrhea or vomiting. This should only last a few hours. If your dog is drooling, panting excessively, or having seizures after eating roses, contact a veterinarian immediately.
For more, see our in-depth guide to popular flowers that are toxic to cats, dogs, and other pets.
Edd is a budding content writer and gardener living in the United Kingdom. He has a bachelor's degree in Creative and Professional Writing and has written for several gardening publications online. He is passionate about nature and sustainability with a focus on gardening and wildlife.